In 1959, General Electric surprised the industry by introducing a new line of road switchers called the Universal Series. Known affectionately as “U-Boats”, these powerful locomotives are loved for their unusual appearance, their distinctive chugging sounds, and their tendency to spew thick clouds of sooty black smoke into the air. Our camera crews traveled across the country in 1995 to seek out and record surviving U-Boats. The result is a terrific collection of exciting images that present the entire line in chronological order, starting with the revolutionary U25B.
This classic retrospective is now available to you with the enhanced viewing features of DVD! Seen in action are:
* Southern Pacific U25B #3100
* Lake Superior & Ishpeming U25C #2501
* Blue Mountain & Reading U33B #3303
* Nashville & Eastern U36B #5772
* Providence & Worcester U18B #1801
* U28Bs from BN, P&LE and RI on Transkentucky Trans.
* U30Bs from CSX on the Georgia Central
* U30Cs from BN on the Lake Superior & Ishpeming
Additional models include Squaw Creek Coal U33Cs, Conrail U23Cs, Providence & Worcester U23Bs, New Jersey Transit U34CHs, National of Mexico U36Cs, and more! Key identification features and statistical data are given for each model shown. Experience the sights and sounds of these early diesel locomotives one more time as you view the U-Boat Survivors!