2-8-0 number 315 was originally built for the Florence & Cripple Creek Railroad in 1875, and later became Rio Grande 425, and eventually D&RGW 315. It finished service as the Durango Switcher in 1949 and was on display in Durango for many decades. Now, after a full restoration, the locomotive sees periodic duty on special trains on the Durango and Silverton. September 2007 was the first outing, and was sponsored by Trains Unlimited, under the direction of Ron Burkhard, who shot this video.
The scenery is great, and we access several spots that can only be reached by the train. Our special is seen on three different days, and each day we witness 2 trains each way on the D&S which features 3 different 2-8-2’s on regular passenger trains. This is a nice added bonus, and includes some of those trains meeting the special with 315. New to video in 2020!