From The Camera of Rich Kugel and Green Frog Productions
The term “Border States” traces its roots back to the American Civil War, and applies to the states of Kentucky, Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland. These states mark the border between The North and The South, and feature dense forrests, beautiful rivers, and the backbone of mountains that form the Appalachians. As a result, the railroads that ultimately conquered this difficult terrain were forced to construct numerous trestles, cuts, and tunnels.
Photographer Rich Kugel takes us on an incredible journey, through a land that is steeped in scenic beauty and historical significance.
Highlights of this fascinating tour include:
* The CSX former Louisville and Nashville through Northern Kentucky
* Norfolk Southern’s legendary “Rathole” District
* Copper Creek Viaduct and Natural Tunnel in remote western Virginia
* The CSX former B&O, including Cumberland, Harpers Ferry, and Brunswick
* The CSX former Richmond, Fredericksburg, and Potomac between Washington, D.C. and Richmond, Virginia
The border states continue to witness daily battles, as CSX and Norfolk Southern defiantly struggle against geography and surging traffic levels to link North and South!