Lancaster and Chester Railway history started in 1873 with the charter of the narrow gauge Cheraw and Chester Railroad . In 1896 the railroad was sold to a group of investors headed by textile mill operator Colonel Leroy Springs and was the start of a long relationship with Springs Industries that continues to this day. The line was converted to standard gauge in 1901. The largest expansion of service in company history occurred in 2001 when it acquired 31 miles of the “SB” line of the Southern Railway, from Catawba to Kershaw in South Carolina.
Today, The Lancaster and Chester is a solvent, well maintained railroad, that is a major force promoting industrial development in Chester, Lancaster and Kershaw counties. We begin our look at this South Carolina short in Chester and follow the line eastward to Lancaster and on to Kershaw. You will see manifest trains as well as solid grain trains. The L&C may be a small railroad, but its trains are BIG! Locomotive lash-ups of 5 or 6 units are routine, as are 100 car trains. Also included is a look at the L&C’s passenger train specials and some of the Company’s charter equipment.